Sunday, January 8, 2012

First Post In Blog World

 Hi everyone! I have considered making a blog for awhile and finally got around to doing it. I have been very busy this new year trying to get my bow business on it's feet. I recently opened my Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/spoiledNsweet ! I'm very excited about that! I'm trying to get new bows posted at least once a week. So far so good.

Here's a little background on my hair bow addiction. When I was pregnant with my first daughter Alaya, I bought pretty much every hairbow in stores that I could find. Before I knew it I had a shoe box full of headbands. I think I packed about 5 in my diaper bag to take to the hospital with me when she was born. After her first bath she tried on her first bow! She looked adorable and I was hooked. From then on until she was 1 1/2 she wore a bow everyday. I was always on the lookout for a new bow. It never occured to me that I could make my own.

Fast forward a few years to the time my first niece was born. She was so tiny none of the store bought headbands fit her. I measured her head, took a skinny strand of ribbon, cut it to size and sewed it together so it fit. The problem with that is it had no stretch to it. She wore it for about a month. Then she grew into the store bought headbands.

Fast forward again to when I was pregnant with my second daughter Haylee. I knew she too would wear bows. I started googling how to make headbands. The first one I made was a korker (she wore that as her first bow in the hospital). I made quite a few for her while I was pregnant, so we had a decent stash going on! In my free time I would play around with ribbon and try to figure out how to make differnt kinds of bows. They turned out ok but needed improvment. My good friend Candace(http://www.etsy.com/shop/Beauttyandthebow) bought a dvd on how to make headbands. I watched some of it with her, I learned what I had been doing wrong. It got easier making bows after that.

Here I am a year later, with all the practice I've really improved....... I've even branched out to fabric flowers. Now I just need to get better at photographing my stuff.

Come check out my shop and tell me if you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment